Brochure – Writing for Charity

The assignment was to create a brochure for a product, event, or company. It was to be duplex-printed, including at least 5 photos – one of them full bleed, and one of them text-wrapped.

For mine, I chose an event I’ve attended called Writing for Charity. This event takes money donations from aspiring writers, who then have an opportunity to attend a conference/workshop where the events are hosted by successful industry professionals – in this case, usually children’s book authors.

They can also sign up to have their work critiqued by an author of their choice at the event, provided that author’s group is not already full. The attendees donate money, the authors donate their time, and the proceeds go to bring literature to children in the community.

Front

P8-SamLoveland-front

 

Inside

P8-SamLoveland-inside

Back

P8-SamLoveland-back

I decided on an asymmetrical fold early on, I thought it would be a good way to give the most vital information (such as date and location) some prime real estate – a portion of the inside of the brochure that would still be visible when closed. I measured guides out in InDesign for 6 1/2 inches in from the left (outside). I gave myself 1/4″ margins on each page and started with type.

I used the illustration found on the event’s website as the foundation for a lot of my decisions. I found a similar font to the illustrated lettering, called Cabin Sketch (display), in my collection of Google Fonts. As luck would have it, Cabin (sans-serif) also comes in a sans and condensed family which match up well with the display font, so I used those for my body copy.

I pulled most of my colors from the illustration, muted but colorful tones – I almost wanted the flyer to look like it was made with colored pencils. For the most part this included reds, oranges, greens, and blues – making this a tetradic color scheme.

Using grids within my asymmetrical fold, I was concerned about my layout feeling too blocky, or linear, so I used Illustrator to create a simple curved shape which I then imported into the background on the inside. This way when the fold is closed, the shape appears to be a long rectangle – but when opened, an interesting curve guides the eye into the page.

Inside the brochure I listed the events in order by time. I made several choices here to make this massive amount of information easier to skim. Paragraph styles made these quite easy to implement.

  • Each subheading (time) was bolded and colored blue, with some spacing above them to better associate each time with its events.
  • Each event title uses a deeper value, and is ex-dented.
  • Each list of panelists uses a lighter value (while still readable) in order to make the thick blocks of text breath a little more. Subsequent lines are indented in order to further distinguish the event titles.

Two photos included in the pamphlet follow the aforementioned curve. The illustration, being the most important visual element of the entire pamphlet, bleeds off the edge of the front and comes back in on the inside flap – where words wrap around the image.

On the back is a picture and name for every participating professional (mostly authors). Each is outlined by a 1-pt stroke using one of the colors in my scheme.

Takeaways

Paragraph styles save you a world of hurt. Tetradic color schemes are difficult, but by focusing on value and desaturating when things clash, they become manageable. Each new design project should push you to try something you haven’t before – in this case, layouts involving more fluid elements. Finally, designing something that is going to be precisely folded is kind of tough. Fun, but tough.

Leave a Reply